The Detective is charged with the responsibility of investigating and prosecuting violations of the Crimes Code and related statutes. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, preliminary criminal investigations and where required, in-depth follow-up investigations.
The Detective’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Keeping abreast of all changes in the law as indicated by legislative act or court rule.
- Notifying the Chief of Police so that appropriate training bulletins can be prepared on the aforementioned changes.
- Being alert for patterns of criminality developing within the jurisdiction and shall develop plans for reducing the incidence of criminality and arrest of the perpetrators.
- Maintaining records of all case assignments, progress, and final disposition within the section.
- Conducting performance evaluations of the officers assigned to the Detective Section.
- Oversight of Departmental compliance with the Pennsylvania Crime Victims Act.